Careers at Cape Town TV
CTV has periodic openings for positions in the organisation. Some jobs are done by volunteers, while others are awarded to interns. The internship system enables young people to gain experience in the world of television in a learnership position for six-month periods. CTV has a small permanent staff of media professionals who manage the organisation and a mix of freelancers and interns as studio crew, journalists and videographers.
Cape Town TV has a limited number of internships for certain positions within the organisation. When internship positions become available they are advertised on the CTV website and Facebook page, as well as in television industry online media.
Internships generally last six months, except for voluntary student positions that are related to study programmes. However internships may be extended for a further six months under exceptional circumstances. To apply for an internship position, send your full CV including references to email@example.com.
Students currently studying at tertiary education institutions may also apply for voluntary positions as part of their studies. Foreign students may apply for unpaid internships at CTV – they are then responsible for all their costs while in South Africa and must have their own laptop computer.
CTV employs skilled professionals from the video industry to run the main functions at the station. Interns work in specific areas related to CTV’s operational requirements.
Cape Town TV provides opportunities for people to get involved in television production.
For those who have completed a video production course or with industry work experience, CTV offers placements so that you can develop and hone your video production skills.
Join our crew of studio volunteers to learn more about real-life television studio operations through camera work, vision mixing and studio management.
Producers, presenters, script writers, video editors and directors can gain valuable experience through volunteering on CTV productions. Create your own show and send us your proposal – if it is accepted, we can help you to find finance and resources for your production.
Join our volunteer database now. While a video or media qualification is not required, the applicant must have relevant skills, e.g. in video production, so work experience also qualifies.
Internships are advertised on our website (keep an eye out on this page periodically), and in industry media including Bizcommunity.co.za and Filmcontact.com.
Youth show Producer
CTV’s ground-breaking youth show, EkSe, is coming back and we are looking for a talented, committed individual with a passion for community television and youth development to produce the show. If you think you have what it takes to put together and manage a team of young people, liaise with content partners and engage a youth audience then this is the job for you.
The Producer’s responsibilities include:
- Develop the treatment plan and running order for the show in consultation with the production team.
- Appoint and supervise the editorial team responsible for putting out the show.
- Supervise EkSe coordinators so to ensure that the production operates smoothly.
- Appoint presenters for the show.
- Liaise with co-production partners.
- Source and acquire short-form content for the show.
- Develop and implement an audience engagement strategy.
- Develop content for the show in consultation with the team and partners.
- Supervise the writing of scripts for presenters.
- Liaise with motion graphic editor to create title sequence and graphics.
- Supervise the research of topics for each show.
- Assist in sourcing potential sponsors for the show.
- Content and audience analysis.
- Assist with finding guests.
- Work with social media coordinator to ensure that EkSe is promoted on all social media platforms.
- Write and develop treatment plans and scripts for location shoots.
The ideal candidate should have a suitable qualification in video/film production and at least four years of experience in television production. You will be offered a 6-month fixed-term contract starting ASAP. To apply, send a letter of motivation and CV with three contactable references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline: 1 August 2022.
We will communicate with short-listed candidates only.